Tuesday 3 January 2012

Hello 2012!

When I look back on 2011 what comes to mind is what a dark year it was for the world.  The planet was besieged by natural disasters, there were victorious uprisings for freedom marred by horrific violence, numerous wars raged around the globe and the financial situation remained bleak at the best of times.  I thought this poem below was rather fitting...   
And ye, who have met with Adversity's blast,
And been bow'd to the earth by its fury;
To whom the Twelve Months, that have recently pass'd
Were as harsh as a prejudiced jury -
Still, fill to the Future! and join in our chime,
The regrets of remembrance to cozen,
And having obtained a New Trial of Time,
Shout in hopes of a kindlier dozen.
~Thomas Hood
Through the dark times of 2012 the one thing that kept me cheerful and optimistic was my family and friends.   Many of my dearest friends are scattered around the globe and our only way of keeping in touch is via the internet, but it really is bliss to be able to do so – to share their lives for a moment or two.  One of my very dearest friends lives about an hour away from me, over a small mountain (commonly referred to here as ‘the hill’).  We only get to see each other in person a few times a year – more during the glorious summer months when the journey is easy and of course much less in the winter when the road over that darn ‘hill’ is often treacherous.  Yet every single time I do get to see her, I come away feeling blissfully happy.  She is one of those magical people who really make the world a better place – especially for me.  I am always inspired by the life she lives, by her calmness, by the love she has for her children and husband, by her devotion to her friends and the community she lives in.  Her home always feels welcoming and warm, it’s stylish and beautiful (a real dream home) but she never appears upset or irritated if the children make a mess or guests stop by unexpectedly.  
 
The other wonderful person who has taught me some valuable lessons over the past year is my darling son, age 7.  My son is adopted – I had cancer at age 29 and wasn’t able to go on and have biological children – but at age 34 my husband and I were blessed enough to adopt a simply gorgeous 12 month old baby boy.  I can’t imagine life without him – he is a real treasure!  My son’s greatest gift is his love of people and his sunny outlook on life.  This is a child who wakes every morning with a giant smile on his face, rearing to go.  He is the exact opposite of my husband and I – we are bookish, introverted ‘geeks’ – our son on the other hand is super extroverted, outgoing and popular.  And so on New Year’s eve, when my husband and I decided to ‘stay in’ and have a cosy, quiet send off for 2011, our darling boy demanded we head off to the beach in the evening instead.  It was magical – we had the place to ourselves (well apart from a few seagulls), the air was warm and perfumed with the smell of the salty sea and we had a wonderful time – so much better than slumping on the sofa and watching telly!
 
My son's most special friend of all, may I introduce 'stinky teddy'!  (Dont ask!)


And so dear friends as we head in to a wonderful new year, may I wish you all a journey filled with adventure, laughter and most of all love!   

 
My hubby and my son on the beach, living in the moment, New Year's Eve 2011


1 comment:

  1. Oh honey what a beautiful post. I've got a tear in my eye. Love Stinky Teddy!

    ReplyDelete