Sunday 18 March 2012

Time for reflection


Well after what seemed like an endless wait, I finally got my test results and found out that I am 'fine' as my doctor put it.  No cancer!  Hooray!  I want to shout it to the world, but later that same day I found out that a friend of mine who I went to high school with (and who is only 40 with two little kids) now has cancer again.  She has been in remission for awhile and we all hoped she would beat it, but its back and things are not looking good at all.  My heart goes out to her.


So this weekend, I felt a little subdued about celebrating my own good news.  In the end hubby and I had a nice 'date' and went walking in the countryside, ending up in a little village that I have always adored.  There is a church in the village (St Albans - above) where my Great Grandparents are buried and its such a lovely spot, overlooking green hills and a beautiful inlet. 

Over 100 years ago, my Great Grandparents left their beautiful home county of Devon in England and emigrated to New Zealand to begin a new life.  Seeing the pretty spot where they are buried reminded me that life should be about the journey.  I havent got time to search out the quote today, but I believe it was Tolkien who wrote that it isnt the amount of time we are given that matters, what matters is what we do with the time that we do have.

And on that note, I will close here and go and spend some time with my lovely family.  Have a great week gorgeous peeps! xxx

10 comments:

  1. Oh darling girl that is fabulous news! Yippee! You must feel so relieved after what was a ridiculous wait for the news ay. So sorry to hear about your friend. Is that a NZ or US high school friend? I hate to think it's someone we both went to school with. Have a wonderful week lovely.
    Leah
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leah,

    No one from NZ - my friend lives in New Hampshire in the USA. She has a really positive attitude, so hopefully that will help her, but what she is going through is just awful. Life ah?

    Becks xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a relief for you; and how frightening it must have been. I am sorry for your friend - she is so young. You are right about life being a journey. Its taken me until this year to realise that. Its important to enjoy what we are doing and where we are right now. Thats what I have finally come to understand. What part of Devon did your ancestors come from? Lily. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lily,

      Thanks for your kind words hon :-) I only came to the realisation about the whole 'journey' thing recently too (in a conversation with terminally ill person, who was so incredibly at peace and happy - and no it wasnt the drugs they were on, ha ha). My family used to farm near Drewsteignton in Devon (near Dartmoor). My hubby and I still adore Devon - it was always one of our favourite holiday places, though we tended to go to Exmoor and North Devon mainly. We lived in Somerset for 5 years so it was an easy escape! Have a good week hon. Becks xxx

      Delete
    2. My family are from Bideford, Appledore and down as far as Hartland. Currently I live in a boring town in the Middle of England but this year I am going to fulfill my life long dream and move to Devon. Currently I have to satisfy myself with my caravan but its just not enough I need to be there all the time. xxx

      Delete
    3. Oh moving to Devon sounds simply wonderful! I am so glad you are the kind of person who follows their dreams. Good luck hon! Becks xxx

      Delete
  4. Oh Becks i have just read your post and i am SO relieved for you, i really am, i can only imagine the terrible anguish of what you have been through and the awful long wait for results - such an enormous relief for you i am sure. I also terribly sorry to hear about your friend, it is so very, very sad.
    best wishes, Marina xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marina you are such a sweetie - thank you so much for your lovely kind words! You've made me smile on what is a rather wet, windy and wild afternoon here in Welliwood. Thanks hon! xxx

      Delete
  5. I've just read your post Rebecca and am so relieved for you.
    So sorry to hear about your friend though,
    Take care of yourself,lots of love,juliexxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! I haven't had much time on the old PC lately and have gotten behind on reading all my fav blos (waaah!), but will hopefully get a catch up day soon. I love the charity shop finds you discovered in your last post - especially the blue glass - gorgeous! Have a good week hon. Becks xxx

      Delete